Thursday, May 15, 2008

Living History Interview

I interviewed my uncle, for information from our history and what he remembered. Below are the results that I received from him:

1. Q: What do you remember about the career of Jackie Robinson and his accomplishments?
A: I remember him as the first black major league baseball player and he was a member of 6 World Series

2. Q: What did you think about Martin Luther King Jr.’s Letter from Birmingham Jail and his I Have a Dream Speech?
A: I think that he was speaking for his people and how everyone in the world should be treated equal no matter of color or where you’re from

3. Q: Describe how the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965 affected you?
A: The Civil Rights Act affected me because blacks had to fight for what we felt was right and the Voting Act didn’t really affect me I’m just glad it passed for all the women to have their rights

4. Q: Where were you when President John F. Kennedy was assassinated and what was the impact on civil rights legislation?
A: Well I was sitting at home with my sisters and brothers when he was killed it had a big effect on the black community because he tried to help us overcome all the misdoing in the world

5. Q: What did you think about Lyndon Johnson’s Great Society and the establishment of Medicare?
A: The Medicare was a good idea for all us elderly people who can’t afford doctor bills cause you know everyone doesn’t have the money to pay for this stuff and buy your medicine now days not even young people have the money

6. Q: Describe the anti-Vietnam movement?
A: I remember my mama talking about that anti-Vietnam movement it was people everywhere arguing and fighting over that war that was going on and the U.S. was right there in it too

7. Q: What are your memories of the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference; including freedom rides?
A: Well I can remember them freedom rides real good when all the black folks would get together and protest against the whites they didn’t like that, and at them Leadership Conference people would just act a fool

8. Q: How did you feel about the relationship between Congress and President Bill Clinton, and his impeachment?
A: I feel that the Congress treated Clinton wrong cause he was a good president and tried to do what he thought was right for the people, they shouldn’t have gotten rid of him no matter his mistake with that woman we all do wrong

9. Q: Did you participate in the 2000 presidential election and its outcome?
A: Yes I vote every time its time to vote for a new president because I want my vote to be heard. The election came out okay cause I think Bush knew he was going to win it anyways

10. Q: How did you feel about President George W. Bush to the attacks of September 11, 2001 on the United States, and the war against terrorism?
A: When 9/11 happened it scared me so bad I felt sorry for all the people that lost their loved ones, I didn’t think President Bush acted to wisely upon that situation though and now he got our soldiers over there in war being killed I just don’t think its right

1 comment:

carrie said...

This is great. I enjoyed reading your Uncle's responses to your well written questions.

30/30 points for this step.